What is media hive?
media hive is a free program that lets you play your audio and video from anywhere using your favorite web browser.
Why use it?
- It makes large media collections quick and easy to navigate by offering multiple navigation modes (check out the videos in the instructions section), and by minimizing interface clutter (no artist wikis on the main page, for example).
- It features a truly streamable playlist. This means you can always modify the playlist in your browser while it's being played - even when using the embedded flash player.
- It makes it easy to choose what to play. Today that means that you can rate and filter your content; in the future, it will try to pick what you want to play so you don't have to.
What's new in version 0.9.3
This release adds the ability to play audio right from your browser using an embedded flash player. The stream is sent using RTMP - for the casual user this simply means that there won't be a buffering pause each time a new song starts, because the player doesn't have to fetch each song separately. And because the playlist is managed on the server and not by the flash player, you're able to modify your playlist even while the flash player is playing it.
This release also fixes a number of bugs, and tweaks the presentation of the interface a bit. Hope you like it.
|The embedded flash player|
|The interface in browse mode|
|The interface in seek mode|
|The interface in search mode|
- Runs under Windows, OS X, and Linux.
- Drag-and-drop playlist.
- Powerful filtering and smart-playlist capabilities.
- Lets you play your stuff from anywhere you have an internet connection.
- Plays audio right from your browser with its embedded flash player (using RTMP streaming).
- Support for both audio (MP3, MP4/AAC, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis) and video.
- Can reencode your audio and video on-the-fly to work with slow network connections.
- Keeps usage statistics, and can show you lists of what your favorite stuff was for the last week, month, or whenever you want to see.
- iPhone/iPod Touch interface, and can stream directly to those devices.
- Badges: images that you can embed in your website, blog, myspace page, forum sig, etc. They can show your favorite artists, albums, or songs, or they can show what's currently playing on your system. They can be any size, can show your favorites for different date ranges, and list as many (or few) items as you want. See the screenshots section for an example.
- Simple to install and run.